Saturday, July 12, 2008

should I buy my girl a weighted vest?

can't decided
in school when they put the vest on her she knows its time to settle down.

last night after DH took the kids out for an afternoon of playing at the playground, I spent the time cleaning, I really lost track of time(it was so nice to be able to clean without having to clean around kids) so when DH pulled in with the tired sleepy kids at 6 PM I had not even thought of making dinner, so we all got in the car and went to Bickfords. Bickfords is a family restaurant that serves breakfast all day, but also has other food, so it's great for us, DH can get his salad, I get my chicken sandwich, and the kids all get the JR meal (one egg two strips of bacon, and two pancakes) child heaven LOL It's also good because the kids can be a little loud and it's sort of expected KWIM? Well last night they had the redsox on all the tvs, and there was a bunch of big parties there, you know Messy feeds off of other people's energy So the huge group at the next table was loud and happy laughing excited....you know what that means right?

well back to the question about the vest.

could have used that vest last night at dinner when she wouldn't settle down to eat and ended up running into a coffee pot. Thank God it was the older waitress that knows us well, who was walking with it, because she saw her coming and quickly turned herself around and shielded messy form the hot coffee...no one got hurt...well the waitress said she wasn't hurt. Seriously she should make the highlight film on ESPN she did such an awesome job of preventing an injury

there is a debate if you use a vest too much the child becomes used to wearing it all the time and it is no longer effective, on the other hand she ran into a freaking coffee pot.

I've seen her thrashing about at school, and Susan her aid would slip on the vest and instantly she is calm and happy to be where she is. They also use the vest when it is time for her to eat her snack, otherwise she will just run all over the place.

I don't want to mess up what they are working on by overusing it.

on the other hand she ran in to a freaking coffee pot.

on the other hand they are kind of expensive


I don't know how to sew....seriously I got an "F" in sewing in school I'm like famous for sewing my apron to my shirt. I mean it's sort of like a phobia, like math phobia, only it's sewing phobia...seriously DH sews buttons on because I screw it up LOL

can I just get a vest with pockets and put heavy stuff in them LOL


what do you all think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok well I don't have autistic kids but if you get one then only use it in situations where you're in public and she's wound up and could possibly get hurt would it be over using it?
If you don't think it would be then it could be a good investment. As far as sewing goes you could use liquid stich it's like gule but for sewing stuff or velcro, velcro kicks butt!!

Unknown said...

I use a weighted vest for Kelly all the time when she gets wired.

You could use one only when you need it. Take it with you and if you see she is getting too wild from outside "energy" then put it on her. Talk calmly and don't worry about her getting used to it. You will find that she will get used to being calmer and more organized in her self when out. You will also find that you are fazing it out and then hardly use it.
You have to decide what works for Messy and use it.

Autism just sucks for this because you don't know how they will react one day to the next in the same situation.

You know that Sara & Kelly have been so good with therapies but we learned by trial and error, keeping somethings and dumping others.

It is just so sad to see them struggle.

I am so glad she didn't get hurt but it was a close call.

Unknown said...

I agree with Deb... get one and use it when it's necessary. Of course you'll have to make decisions regarding it's use, but I would say definitely in public situations like that it would be good.