Thursday, July 10, 2008

me on a soapbox

Remember when mom said "stop and think before you speak" and "if you can't say anything nice..."
you know right?

My mother used to say "never judge anyone unless you walked a mile in their shoes...then your feet will be hurting and you will remember that we shouldn't be judging people anyway" LOL

My mother was clever sometimes :)

ok so if you are out and about and you see someone pushing a stroller and the kid in the stroller is way too big for it, what do you think? you are thinking that the parents are just letting the kid be lazy, or you may even be thinking that parent's letting their "too big for a stroller" kids ride in a stroller is "the reason for childhood obesity" you may even look at the parent and see she is overweight and think "gee do you want your kid to be fat like you" ...yeah? it's ok there are no thought police...yet anyway...you can think whatever you want...but please please please do not say this too the parent because you do not know what is going on. maybe the child is special needs, maybe their insurance wont pay for a special needs stroller, maybe they are just getting by???


if you see a kid in a harness you can look at them and think "wow I'm so glad we don't treat our kids like DOGS" sure go ahead and think it, but please do not say it out loud!!!!!
surely you do not know what it is like for your autistic child to switch instantly from a "happy walking with you" kid to a "bolting away" kid!!! surely you have never searched stores, for a kid who hides, surely you never had your two year old (who should know better) wander away in central park, you have never had to make a store lock their doors so you can find your child hiding behind a carpet display, you have never called and called to a child knowing they wont answer you anyway!



Yes I put my "too big for a stroller" kid in a stroller I do it because sometimes she gets upset and sitting in a stroller calms her, I do it because sometiems it's hard trying to keep an eye on her and her sister at the same time, nine times out of ten the 2 year old is wanting out of the stroller anyway so it's empty.

and yes I put harnesses on my two and a half year old, and my five and a half year old

and I am proud to do it!

and I don't care what other people think

I like to keep my kids thankyouverymuch!!!

Messy's puppy backpack

Do you like our new eco-friendly water bottles?

messy at the carnival with dad

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're exactly right. NEVER judge, cause you never know the whole story.

Regarding Target - several times I have wished they were open 24 hours, but I think part of the reason they do such a better job than Walmart is because they're NOT... they can stock the shelves without people around and clean and organize the store. Wal-mart does that with people around and it's what makes it always look crappy.

Anonymous said...

Aiden has the same Puppy dog harness. He picked it himself and he LOVES it. He's too big for it now b/c my 4 year old is the size of a 7 year old lol. Riley uses it though and he loves it too. People look at us funny and some people think it's cute. The way I see it, he's happy he's getting a little bit of freedom and I'm getting piece of mind.
Don't let people bother you. I know it's jhard but until people get their heads out of their butss enough to care those judging people will always be there so live the best life you can for you and your children and to hell with everybody who thinks otherwise.

Susie J. said...

I frequently make Annie and Ray both ride in the stroller (thank heaven for double strollers!) and We've got that same monkey harness for Ray. :)