Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I am so happy

We started a new story board for Messy thsi morning
new morning routine

it is perfect!

I just wish i had remembered to put in "take medicine" but that is no biggie

instead of rushing around we actually had time to color before he bus came

beautiful morning


Do you know anything about artificial ponds?

Last year Mapboy and I created a little artificial pond...yeah it started out as a bird bath, but it was actually cheaper to get the little pond kit so we did it

anyway last year I left it all winter and in the spring it was DISGUSTING and I vowed to empty it out before winter this year

So I went to do it but

started taking out the water (it's small only 35 gallons

but as I got down I found a frog
upon investigation we found 4 frogs hibernating in the bottom of the pond

ok change of plans I don't want to kill the frogs so I added some water back in it and replaced the filter and turned on the pump


but what am I going to do?

keep the pond filter running all winter? what will happen when it freezes?
should i turn off the filter?

will the frogs be OK?

*sigh*

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

running water will not usually freeze. We have a double pond. the bottom one has a liner, the top one is molded plastic. Our pump is in the bottom, it pumps up into the top filter and then spills over back into the bottom pond. Yes, frogs hibernate at the bottom. If you live way up North, then I am not sure about the freeze. I think some people cover them up for the winter with a plastic cover. Open it up in the spring.